The 2008-2009 Novella Competition
OPENS October 1, 2008
CLOSES January 31, 2009
Prize: $1000 and publication in Quarterly West
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: In order to reduce expense for our participants and to increase the efficiency of the whole contest, his year's novella contest will be accepting entries only through our submissions system.
You will need to enter all personal data fields (if you haven't already done so) and select the genre "Novella Competition." The rest of our guidelines are listed below.
1) Manuscripts should be between15,000-40,000 words in length, typed and double spaced. Author's name should not appear anywhere in the document. (Your information in the submission system will track with your entry.) Manuscripts that contain indications of the author must be withdrawn and resubmitted without that information.
2) An entry fee of $20 is required for each individual entry, which includes a one year subscription to Quarterly West. (If you choose to use a credit card online, a transaction fee of $1 will be added to your total.) Checks may be sent to:
Quarterly West Novella Contest, 255 2. Central Campus Dr., Rm. 3500, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112.
3) Multiple entries by a single author are acceptable, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry fee. Once a manuscript has been received, no corrections or rewrites will be considered during the competition.
4) All entries will be read anonymously in a double-blind system by our staff of qualified readers.
5) Final judging will be done by Padgett Powell from a pool of finalists selected by the editors of Quarterly West.
6) The winning entry will be awarded a prize of $1,000 and will be published in Quarterly West in the Fall/Winter 2009 Issue. All Finalists will be considered for publication
To enter your contest submission (after October 1, 2008)